If you love your morning cereal and miss it now you’ve gone keto, try this substitute. Make a batch on the weekend, and then it’s easy to throw in a bowl with some milk on your way out the door!
Makes six serves
Energy: 325kcal. (1360kJ)
Fat: 76% (28g)
Protein: 13% (11g)
Carbohydrate: 10% (5g net carbs)
Prep Time: 5 mins.
Cook Time: 45 mins.
40g sunflower seeds
30g pumpkin seeds
60g chia seeds
30g sesame seeds
30g erythritol-based sweetener
1 pinch cinnamon
1 egg white
1 pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 120°C
- Combine the almonds (approx. ½ cup), pecans (approx. ½ cup), sunflower seeds (approx. ¾ cup), pumpkin seeds (approx. ¼ cup) and chia (approx. ¼ cup) in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a heavy-based frying pan, lightly toast the sesame seeds (approx. 3 tb) over a medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes. Keep them moving so they don’t burn!
- Add the toasted sesame seeds, sweetener (approx. 2 ½ tb) and cinnamon to a food processor and pulse until powdered.
- Beat egg white with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then fold through the nut mix.
- Pour the sesame-sweetener mix over the nuts and stir until evenly coated.
- Line a baking tray with paper and spread the granola evenly over it. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and cook for 45-50 minutes.
- Leave to cool, as it will continue to harden up over time, then break into pieces and store in a container.
Note: Nutrition information based on one serve granola plus 125mL unsweetened almond milk.