- 1 baguette
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) regular sour cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and ground black pepper
- Snipped chives (optional)
- 1 avocado
- 12 slices smoked salmon, about 1/2 lb (250 g)
Toast baguette slices up to 2 days before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. Prepare cumin-lime sauce up to 1 day ahead. Wrap and refrigerate. Don’t slice avocado until just before it’s needed (or else it will turn brown). When ready to serve, slice and peel avocado and assemble toasts.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Cut 12 slices from baguette, each about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick. Serve leftover baguette with dinner or use the next day for french toast. Arrange slices on a large baking sheet. Toast in centre of 400F (200C) oven, turning over halfway through, until bread is golden and crisp on both sides, from 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make cumin-lime sauce, finely mince onion. It should measure about 1/4 cup (50 mL). Do not use any more than this or the onion will be overpowering. Place in a small bowl. Stir in sour cream, lime juice, cumin, salt, pepper and chives, if using. Taste, then add more seasoning, if needed.
- Slice avocado in half, remove peel and discard pit. Slice each half crosswise into 12 slices, each about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick. Spread slices out, then sprinkle with additional pinches of salt and pepper, if you like. Spread about 1 heaping teaspoon (7 mL) cumin-lime sauce over each baguette toast. Place 2 slices of avocado on each toast. Cover with a piece of salmon, folding over or draping to fit. Then place 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sauce on salmon. Repeat with remaining toasts, salmon and sauce. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.
- Spread the spinach filling over half the omelette, leaving a 10mm border and reserving 1 tablespoon of the mixture for the garnish. Lift up the omelette at the edge nearest the handle and fold in half, slightly off-centre, so the filling just peeks out. Cook for 2 minutes. Slide the omelette onto a plate and garnish with the reserved filling. Serve at once.
Nutrients per toast
5.4 g protein
5.2 g fat
9.4 g carbohydrates
1.3 g fibre
0.8 mg iron
26 mg calcium
287 mg sodium