Chicken Vegetable Soup
Back to all recipes
- 3-4 lbs skinless chicken
- 2 medium onions
- 4 large celery
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 turnips
- 2 parsnips
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 leek
- 3 large carrots
- Skin the entire chicken and remove any visable fat.
- Place skinned chicken in a 6 to 8 quart pot and fill with cold water to just cover chicken.
- Quarter one onion and one turnip, chop two celery stalks with tops, chop one parsnip and place in the pot with chicken.
- Add 1/2 the chopped parsley, the ground peppercorns and salt and bring to a boil.
- Cook covered, for 2 1/2 hours at a medium simmer.
- Turn off, remove lid and let it cool enough to handle the chicken. (about 1/2 hr).
- Carefully remove the chicken from pot to a bowl with large spoon.
- Strain the juice stock into another large pot or bowl. Throw away the cooked stock vegetables. They will be very wilted and have accomplished their mission.
- Carefully pull the meat off the chicken bones. You can save the breast meat to make chicken salad if there is too much meat.
- Place the meat into the chicken stock and return to the stove.
- Cut up into small pieces the remaining onion, celery, turnip, parsnip plus the leek and carrots.
- Add remaining parsley. Add other vegetables at this point if you want to.
- Use a good portion of the green leek tops as well.
- Add all vegetables to the pot of chicken. If the stock seems low with all the ingredients, add 2-3 cups more water.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer 20 -30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Serve with a sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese on top. Delicious!